Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Vegan MoFo, Day 4: "Boeuf" Bourguignon = Fahncy

Hello? Is it MoFo You're Looking For?

How are you all doing with MoFo? Stay strong!! :D

I'm on Day Four of this roller coaster of fun. And up next is the coolest, most awesome recipe yet: "Boeuf" Bourguignon (I had to look up how to spell it before I made the dish, but I've got it now).

I will admit to the following, and please raise your hand if you did the same:

1) Read Julie Powell's book, Julie and Julia, before the movie came out
2) Dragged The Hubs to the movie theater to see the movie version, starring Amy Adams and Meryl Streep (and had to listen to him snark it out the whole time)
3) Became obsessed with making Julia Child's Boeuf Bourguignon but never did
4) Instead decided to make the recipe for liver and onions Powell's book...and then made it four Sundays in a row until I couldn't stand to see another plate of liver and onions, but by gosh! I wanted to finish that 4-pack of livers
5) And then became a vegan soon after

But you know what? I never did end up getting around to that Boeuf Bourguignon recipe.

Until now.

"Fake Meat in Wine to Make Julia Proud"
makes oodles of servings, and there's leftover wine, celebrate!

I used the Seitan recipe (pg. 131-132) from Veganomicon by Isa Chandra Moskowitz and Terry Hope Romero. Best recipe ever for homemade seitan. And to think...I had seitan on my grocery list. Never again.

Then I used the Seitan Bourguignon recipe demonstrated by Biz Stone on Martha Stewart / Whole Living Magazine last spring. But here's what I did differently:
--Added 1 chopped tomato
--Boiled and peeled fresh pearl onions. Totally worth it. No frozen here!
--Added more tomato paste than called for (maybe 3 tbsp instead of 2)
--Added 3/4 carton sliced mushrooms.
--And I didn't make the Mushroom "Bacon."
--Drank the leftover wine the whole time. It was great.






Later in the evening, to continue with the bourguignon-induced revelry, I had a big glass of pinot noir while watching Ken Burns' Prohibition. Sweet irony, indeed.

Jes

6 comments:

  1. That seitan recipe is one of my faves, it's so moist and meaty it ticks all the boxes and is perfect for recipes like this. That meal looks UH-MAZING!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely perfect. I will be making it any time I need seitan now. I might have been eating small chunks of it pre-bourguignon... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brilliant! I will admit to a few if not all of those initial confessions. I'm Julia Child Crazy, which is additionally crazy because her recipes are extremely unvegan. But still, yay! Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Grey And White Coach Purse, The Toyota Camry reigns as America's best selling car, despite zealous competition from the Honda Accord, Ford Fusion, and Mazda6. Redesigned for 2014, the current generation Camry got a thorough freshening for 2015, including body stiffening and more sound insulation. Little is new for the 2016 model year except for a new Camry Special Edition.

    We do not have a show at this time but do still offer a varied and delicious menu as well as the original Pia Coladas. You can make reservations through Open Table on our website or Facebook page to ensure that everything will be ready for your group. We look forward to welcoming you soon.. (Michael Kors Backpack Purse Black)

    I know running through their minds were questions about why the "CNN lady" would want to be a teacher. They would soon find out that my passion for news carried over to my time as a teacher, too. I discovered almost instantly that the lunch ladies, custodians, secretaries, resource officers and librarians are the ones who keep a school running. (Michael Kors Tote Bag Black Friday)

    "When I came back to the house, I asked my wife where my child is. She said that the child is not back yet at 17:55. I went to my friend to borrow his car so that I can go to the transport driver. Cheap Coach Bags Outlet Sale Online Store, I consider voting Labor at the next election. If I was voting in the Wentworth by election, I would (vote Labor). Ciobo urged him to stand by his party.

    A victory over Boise State becomes all the more pressing considering the Cavaliers don't play again until Oct. 10, meaning two plus weeks to stew should Virginia fail to make it out of this month with a .500 record. Virginia's lone victory this season was over lower division William and Mary, 35 29, last weekend in Charlottesville.. (Michael Kors Selma Studded Black Bag)

    ReplyDelete