Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Vegan MoFo, Day 4: "Boeuf" Bourguignon = Fahncy

Hello? Is it MoFo You're Looking For?

How are you all doing with MoFo? Stay strong!! :D

I'm on Day Four of this roller coaster of fun. And up next is the coolest, most awesome recipe yet: "Boeuf" Bourguignon (I had to look up how to spell it before I made the dish, but I've got it now).

I will admit to the following, and please raise your hand if you did the same:

1) Read Julie Powell's book, Julie and Julia, before the movie came out
2) Dragged The Hubs to the movie theater to see the movie version, starring Amy Adams and Meryl Streep (and had to listen to him snark it out the whole time)
3) Became obsessed with making Julia Child's Boeuf Bourguignon but never did
4) Instead decided to make the recipe for liver and onions Powell's book...and then made it four Sundays in a row until I couldn't stand to see another plate of liver and onions, but by gosh! I wanted to finish that 4-pack of livers
5) And then became a vegan soon after

But you know what? I never did end up getting around to that Boeuf Bourguignon recipe.

Until now.

"Fake Meat in Wine to Make Julia Proud"
makes oodles of servings, and there's leftover wine, celebrate!

I used the Seitan recipe (pg. 131-132) from Veganomicon by Isa Chandra Moskowitz and Terry Hope Romero. Best recipe ever for homemade seitan. And to think...I had seitan on my grocery list. Never again.

Then I used the Seitan Bourguignon recipe demonstrated by Biz Stone on Martha Stewart / Whole Living Magazine last spring. But here's what I did differently:
--Added 1 chopped tomato
--Boiled and peeled fresh pearl onions. Totally worth it. No frozen here!
--Added more tomato paste than called for (maybe 3 tbsp instead of 2)
--Added 3/4 carton sliced mushrooms.
--And I didn't make the Mushroom "Bacon."
--Drank the leftover wine the whole time. It was great.






Later in the evening, to continue with the bourguignon-induced revelry, I had a big glass of pinot noir while watching Ken Burns' Prohibition. Sweet irony, indeed.

Jes

4 comments:

  1. That seitan recipe is one of my faves, it's so moist and meaty it ticks all the boxes and is perfect for recipes like this. That meal looks UH-MAZING!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely perfect. I will be making it any time I need seitan now. I might have been eating small chunks of it pre-bourguignon... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brilliant! I will admit to a few if not all of those initial confessions. I'm Julia Child Crazy, which is additionally crazy because her recipes are extremely unvegan. But still, yay! Great post.

    ReplyDelete