Saturday, September 14, 2013

Vegan MoFo, Day 14: Jam Cake

You know, when you're blogging about food, you're bound to have those recipes that just don't turn out. I had one such recipe recently. I baked a Jam Cake, and while it had every opportunity to turn out well, I didn't wait long enough for it to cool down after taking it from the oven. My bad! I lost track of time between making other dishes and thought it'd had enough cool-down time. Guess not.

But you know what? The Jam Cake still tasted FREAKING AMAZING! Seriously! It reminded me of a wonderful Depression Cake that my mother-in-law makes crossed with the homemade strawberry-rhubarb jam that my mom makes (used in the recipe). And it's versatile--you can use many different kinds of jam.



Jam Cake
adapted from Gems from the Wheat State, pg. E3, contributor Shirley Werth
serves 6-8

1 cup sugar
1 cup vegan margarine
3 Ener-G "eggs"
1 cup unbleached AP flour
1 cup white-whole wheat flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp allspice
1 tsp vanilla extract
2/3 cup soymilk, with squirt of lemon juice
1 cup jam of your choice--I used mom's homemade strawberry-rhubarb

Cream vegan margarine and sugar together. Add Ener-G "eggs." Sift together flours, baking powder and soda, and spices. Add sifted dry ingredients to butter mixture, along with vanilla, soured soymilk, and jam. Pour into a well-greased bundt pan (or loaf/angel food cake pans) and bake at 350 degrees F for 40-50 minutes. You can top with more jam, powdered sugar, a glaze, or fresh fruit.






Make this! But do let the cake cool down properly...




Don't worry--I still ate it :)


Past Vegan MoFo posts on this day

VMF 2012 Day 14: Vegetable Casserole
VMF 2011 Day 14: Meal Planning
VMF 2010 Day 14: 'Shroom Toast and Muffins


1 comment:

  1. That's always so sad :( It does look lovely pre-removal. I'm glad it still tasted good!

    ReplyDelete