Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Peasant Supper Sundays 10/17


Heck yeah! Can't wait to start Vegan MOFO! I will be SO done with the wedding by then, you all have no clue (well, maybe you do if you've been married before, I guess).

Anyhoo, for Peasant Supper Sundays this past weekend 10/17 I made a variation on a recipe I found in Clean Eating from last month (Sept 2010 I think?). That magazine is pretty good for recipe inspiration, first time buying it.

Here's my version of their Hearty Lentil Soup:


3 cups green lentils (they used red--couldn't find red and was at the grocery store way too long to care)
1/2 cup brown rice
1 yellow onion, diced
2 cloves garlic
1 red bell pepper, diced
5 cups water (could use stock as well)
red pepper flakes (to taste)
cumin (1/4th tsp?)
S & P
whopping handful of kale
2 small potatoes, diced in large chunks (I had a purple and a red potato, added both)


Basically, I cooked the onions garlic, and bell pepper in a large pot in olive oil. Added the potato, lentils, kale, and rice, plus the 5 cups of water and seasoning, and had it on a low simmer for about 50-60 minutes. Yummy, full of vitamins, and so easy. Plus, for me, it made like 5 servings, which is great for a healthy lunch.

I did forget to rinse my kale (I know, I know!!! UGH!), so it was a little gritty, but only at the bottom of the soup. I actually got so excited when I cut into the purple potato (didn't know it was purple) that I literally squealed with glee and ran through the house to show Phil. I went to K-State (GO CATS!) so this was pretty squeeee-worthy for me.


Jes

No comments:

Post a Comment