Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Vegan MoFo, Day 10: Carrot and Mint Salad

When I went on a school trip to France in 2001, I ate so much carrot salad that I'm amazed I didn't turn Snookie-orange. Seriously! It seemed like we ate it at 75% of the restaurants our tour guide took us to. I've been turned off of it ever since. It's not that it wasn't tasty, just total overkill.

So when I saw a carrot salad included in Meatless Meals, I was a tad bit hesitant to make it, especially with the ingredients listed (olives, coconut).

Carrot and Mint Salad
adapted from Meatless Meals, page 135
serves 2--supplies calcium, iron, phosphorus, fat, cellulose, and vitamin A

2 large carrots
1/2 lemon, just juice
1 tsp granulated sugar
5-6 mint leaves, torn
4 green olives
2 Tbsp shredded coconut
2 Tbsp raw pumpkin seeds
black pepper

Grate carrots. Mix lemon juice, sugar, and mint with carrots. Plate dish. Sprinkle coconut and pumpkin seeds on salad. Halve the olives and add to salad. Sprinkle with black pepper. Serve with French Dressing.


French Dressing
adapted from Meatless Meals, page 146
makes 1/4 cup (2 servings of carrot salad)

2 Tbsp lemon juice
lemon zest from 1/2 lemon
1/2 tsp granulated sugar
1/2 tsp salt
3 Tbsp olive oil
1 tsp soymilk
1/4 tsp black pepper

Add all ingredients to a jar that can be lidded. Shake it up! If saving, refrigerate and shake again before serving.



{carrot salad reclaimed!}

{sweet and sour}

{tangy and tart}

{add dressing before serving}


Do you have a food or dish you once hated that has been redeemed in your eyes?


Jes

VMF 2011 Day 10: Spicy Chipotle Seitan Carnitas
VMF 2010 Day 10: Me and Acorn Squash Down by the Schoolyard

1 comment:

  1. When I lived in France, I would eat carrot salad by the bucketload - your post completely took me back there! yum!

    ReplyDelete