Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Vegan MoFo, Day 9: Sauerkraut with Apple

I used to LOVE eating sauerkraut. My mom and I had a favorite pork and sauerkraut dish that she made when I was a kid. The sauerkraut in it was tangy, salty, and delicious.

Since then, I've eaten it a few times and even made some of my own, but I think somewhere along the way I forgot how much I loved sauerkraut. It's one of those "guilty pleasure" vegetables that some people detest and a select few salivate over, like Brussels Sprouts or beets.

When I first smelled the sauerkraut that I used for this dish, it all came flooding back.


Baked Sauerkraut with Apple
adapted from Meatless Meals, page 173
serves 4, supplies phosphorus, calcium, and some sugar and other necessary mineral elements

1 large Honeycrisp apple
1 can or jar sauerkraut (about 1 1/2 cups)
2 Tbsp brown sugar

Slice apple into thin slices. In a greased baking dish, put in a thin layer of sauerkraut followed by a layer of apples. Crumble half of the brown sugar onto the apples. Repeat with one more layer. Cover with foil and bake at 350 degrees F for 25 minutes.



{my husband saw this and grumbled}

{I didn't think the apples would taste right}

{baked! ready to eat!!}

{this is the point where my husband was all, "Gross! The house smells bad!!"}

{caramelized yumminess}


You might find me eating a whole can/jar of sauerkraut by myself with a fork in the near future. And I have no shame about that.

Jes

VMF 2011 Day 9: I'm Spicy!
VMF 2010 Day 9: Chili Bean Dip & Cornbread...Mmmmm...

No comments:

Post a Comment