Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Vegan MoFo, Day 23: Corn Chowder

There is nothing better than a bowl of hot soup in autumn. Too bad the weather yesterday was 80 degrees F and muggy. But we're supposed to have a high in the 40s this weekend, so I'm all ready for it!

And I'll look forward to making more of this yummy soup.

Corn Chowder
adapted from Meatless Meals, page 156
serves 6--supplies starch and some necessary mineral elements

1 medium onion, diced
1 Tbsp vegan butter
1 Tbsp granulated sugar
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
1/2 tsp dried oregano
3 cups frozen corn
2 large potatoes, diced
1 quart water
1 vegan vegetable bouillon cube
1 can diced tomatoes
1 tsp vegan Worcestershire sauce
1/2 cup lite coconut milk (canned)

In a large pot, saute the onion in vegan butter until translucent. Add seasonings, corn, potatoes, canned tomatoes, water, bouillon cube, and W sauce. Cook for about 20 minutes until flavors have melded together.  Add coconut milk. Serve with whole grain bread, crackers, or sprinkled with hot sauce.



{served with a slice of wheat-rye bread i baked sunday}


This is the meal I need...but this weekend. Maybe I'll whip up another soup!


Jes

VMF 2011 Day 23: Roadtrip!
VMF 2010 Day 23: Vegan MoFo, I Think I Love You (my tribute)

3 comments: