Wednesday, March 19, 2014

February Books


February found me soaring through the Divergent series, at the recommendation of a few friends and about 1/3 done in my 30-book goal. Here's my contribution for February (two books not pictured, plus one pictured that I can't seem to finish).





1) Smoke and Mirrors: Short Fictions and Illusions by  Neil Gaiman
  -My very first Neil Gaiman publication! How did it take me this long to find the brilliance that is Gaiman, you might ask? Girl, I have no idea. He's the shiz, though, and his writing makes me have all the feels. (YES, I've seen "Stardust," watched his Doctor Who episodes, and read his Marvel contributions, but hadn't read any of his actual books). Ok, seriously though, great writing. This is a book of short stories. I found myself particularly enthralled by "Chivalry" and "Troll Bridge." The old lady in "Chivalry" seems like everyone's little, old grandma. May this be the beginning of a Neil Gaiman reading-stravaganza!

2, 3, and 4) Divergent trilogy (Divergent, Insurgent, Allegient) by Veronica Roth
  -It really was only a matter of time until I jumped on this bandwagon. These were read at the recommendation of several friends, and I wasn't disappointed. I dig the dystopian future thing, and it's a theme that authors can really have fun writing. Veronica Roth built herself a nice niche with these books, and I really grew to love the characters. I have to say, though, that I've never had such a negative reaction to the end of a book series as I had when finishing Allegient. Never. I immediately ran to my computer and wrote "F*** YOU, VERONICA ROTH." on Facebook. I know! I never have that reaction. My thought is that the ending turned out to be completely unnecessary and a waste of my tears. I know it sounds selfish, but dammit! I really wanted things to turn out differently.

**The Tenant of Wildfell Hall by Anne Bronte
  -February found me still plugging away at this book, so it doesn't actually "count" since I have it listed in January.



Happy Reading!

*Photos edited using ABM Actions.


No comments:

Post a Comment