Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Farmer's Markets, Beets, and Hair-dos

Phil and I decided to hit the farmer's markets this year. There are several around town here throughout the week, and we went to the westside market when it opened in April. Kind of underwhelmed by it, so we didn't go again until a few weeks ago. I was so excited when the Derby farmer's market opened May 29th...until we drove by. Phil and I did the "slow-bad-garage-sale-drive-by" past the Derby market. There were THREE tents. Seriously. THREE. At least the westside market had more than that. It was then that we decided to hit up the Old Town farmer's market, hoping it would be a bit better. We hit the market jackpot!!
We bought several delectable veggies, including these beauties:
I have NEVER, EVER liked beets. My brothers and I had an old babysitter who used to feed us pickled beets from a can, and it's totally jacked with my concept of them ever since. So, I decided to find a recipe I could stomach, some fresh beets, and give it a go.

The recipe of choice was a Roasted Beet and Orange Salad from the May/June 2010 issue of "Vegetarian Times," which isn't available online but the issue should still be on newsstands.

My hatred of beets was most definitely reversed. They were sooooo good roasted. Vive le beet!

Oh, and I got my hair did!
:)

Jes

1 comment:

  1. What all did you get at the Farmer's Market? I have to admit, I'm a fan of those icky pickled beets in a can. Mama used to fix 'em. Not much fixin' though. Heat them up and serve but I would love your recipe for this salad. Sounds fantastic!!

    ReplyDelete