Friday, October 26, 2012

Vegan MoFo, Day 26: Spaghetti Rarebit

WTF is rarebit, you might ask? I had to Google it, myself. It's a hot, savory, cheesy sauce poured over or served with toasted bread. In this case, Mrs. Malek has decided to serve it over spaghetti. I like her line of thinking. Clever girl!

And it was soooo yummy. The recipe called for stirring in two eggs once the sauce had taken shape, but I left that out. Here's what I came up with:

Spaghetti Rarebit
adapted from Meatless Meals, page 115
serves 5--supplies protein and starch

1 box whole-wheat spaghetti (I used angel hair)
1 1/2 Tbsp vegan butter
1 1/2 Tbsp AP flour
1 Tbsp nutritional yeast
1/2 tsp mustard
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
1/2 tsp onion powder
1 cup soymilk
1 1/2 cups shredded vegan cheddar cheese
1 Tbsp ketchup
1 tsp vegan Worcestershire sauce
5 Tbsp nutritional yeast (topping)

Cook spaghetti in boiling water until tender. In a medium saucepan, melt butter. Add flour, nooch, and seasonings, and stir to combine. Add soymilk and whisk until the mixture thickens. Add shredded cheese to mixture and whisk to melt. Add ketchup and W sauce. Drain pasta and plate. Pour sauce over pasta and top with more nooch.

{thick and cheesy}


{and easy peasy...ha, i rhymed!}



Deeeeeeeelicious! I would gladly eat this on toast as originally intended, but maybe not until after my cruise in January. I have a feeling this is a meal that I could get carried away with eating all the time. :)

Enjoy your Friday evening, everyone! We're going out to see some awesome Final Friday artwork.

Jes

VMF 2011 Day 26: Bibimbap bap bap
VMF 2010 Day 26: *GASP* I missed a day!

No comments:

Post a Comment