Saturday, October 6, 2012

Vegan MoFo, Day 6: Sugar Apples

The temperatures are starting to dip here in Kansas. We're seeing chilly mornings and evenings, and everyone's (hopefully) digging out their winter clothing.

I refuse to turn on my heater for good yet, save for checking to make sure it works (I work in HVAC, and you wouldn't believe how many people wait to even check to make sure their furnace is working until it's cold enough to make them really angry. Please, people, check your furnaces).

I'm digging out long socks and long-sleeve shirts to sleep in. It only seems appropriate to include an apple recipe from Meatless Meals. Mrs. Adams used maple syrup and called this recipe "Maple Apples," but I made some changes, and it seems to have worked out.

So I'm calling them...

Sugar Apples
modified from Maple Apples in Meatless Meals, page 87
serves 2

1/2 cup brown sugar
1 cup water
2 apples (I have no idea what kind I used...got them from the farmers' market)

In a saucepan, bring the sugar and water to a slow boil. Wash and peel apples. Core the apples--be sure to remove all seeds. Place the apples into the boiling mixture. Simmer until softened, being sure to turn frequently (the water will not seem like enough, but it will be for the next step). Remove softened apples from the pan, and continue to boil the mixture until it thickens (see? aren't you glad you didn't add more water?). Pour thickened syrup over apples. Top with either chopped nuts, powdered sugar (when cooled), vegan whipped cream, or serve with vegan ice cream with the sugar mixture drizzled on top.



{so delicious and autumnal}

{sugary goodness!}

{think I'll enjoy these now and worry about the falling leaves in my yard later...like January}


Stay warm, kiddies!

Jes

VMF Day 6 2011: Want To See My Collection?
VMF Day 6 2010: Um, I Lurv Books...Maybe Too Much

No comments:

Post a Comment