Friday, September 13, 2013

Vegan MoFo, Day 13: Quick Enchilada Pie

Happy Weekend! Tomorrow brings a fun bachelorette party for my friend, Shannon. Can't wait! Our girl-parties out on the town usually turn out pretty epic. I'm certainly no lush, but I've gotten to the point after a night of drinking and dancing that I stumble on the cobblestone sidewalks of Wichita's Old Town, falling in front of groups of guys. Good times, good times.

In continuing with the comfort food thing, here's my latest contribution. I don't know why the recipe contributor decided to call it a "Quick Enchilada Pie" since it's really a Frito Chili Pie, but maybe it has to do with the Fritos tasting like damp corn tortillas once cooked (?). The recipe is from the "Men's Corner" chapter of the recipe book, not that there aren't some recipes by men in other areas of the cookbook. Anyhoo, it tasted delicious. I don't like how Fritos uses GMO corn, but I couldn't readily locate an alternate in time to fulfill my craving.




Quick Enchilada Pie (Frito Chili Pie)
adapted from Gems from the Wheat State, pg. H13, contributor Allen Schlegel
serves 4

1/2 bag Fritos Cornchips
2 cans Amy's Organic Light in Sodium Spicy Chili
1/2 yellow onion, diced
2 hot peppers, minced
1/2 block Daiya Jack Style Wedge Cheese, shredded
1/2 tsp cracked black pepper

In a well-greased casserole dish, add 1/2 the amount of Fritos. Sprinkle with half amount of onions and peppers. Spoon one can of chili on top. Add shredded Daiya. Then repeat one more round of layers, ending again with shredded Daiya. Sprinkle with pepper. Bake at 325 degrees F for 20 minutes.






It's ooey-gooey and spicy and everything I like.



Past Vegan MoFo posts on this day:

VMF 2012 Day 13: Onion Soup
VMF 2011 Day 13: My Recent Obsession
VMF 2010 Day 13: Amy's Low in Sodium Lentil Veg Soup


No comments:

Post a Comment