Saturday, December 31, 2011

"we'll take a cup of kindness yet, for auld lang syne"

Here we are at the end of another long year. Two years ago today, I ate meat for the last time. In about two weeks or so, I'll have my veganniversary, which makes me proud to realize that I've maintained the best New Year's resolution yet!

With that in mind, I want to reflect on the resolutions I made for 2011 and see how I performed:

1) Pay bills on time as much as possible.--Result: Achieved this for the most part. There were a few slip-ups, but MUCH better than in the past. I think I'll continue this one.

2) Eat less processed foods, including vegan types (Daiya, Vegenaise, etc.)--Result: This one wasn't achieved as much as I would have liked, BUT I think that I've definitely transitioned to a more whole foods-based diet. And I will be continuing this one. My first month of 2012 will be spent on a veganized version of the Whole Foods Magazine 28-Day Challenge. Superb!

3) No soda.--Result: Surprisingly well on this one. I think I drank soda less than 10 times this year, and that's including natural/cane-sugar based sodas.

4) Avoid foods containing aspartame and phenylalanine.--Result: Achieved! I am definitely on the look-out for these horrible ingredients.

5) Plant a garden!--Result: As you saw (if you've been reading) in previous posts, I grew my first garden this spring/summer. Some things worked out really well (beets, lettuce, basil), and some NOT so much (zucchini, kale, carrots, cilantro, onions). Better luck this year! :D

6) Need a sewing machine.--Result: Done! Thank you, Patsy! And thank you, Kathrina, for all the sewing accessories!

7) Continue with this blog!--Result: Achieved! Bigger and better things to come here soon!

8) Save $crilla for a vacay.--Result: Meh. We'll never be able to take a "real" vacation together, just small weekends apart. Le sigh.

9) Continue recycling.--Result: Definitely achieved this. I'd say that about 50% of our trash goes into recycling. This year, I'll keep in mind packaging before purchasing an item.


There are some other resolutions dealing with my personal life/job/thesis that I don't want to really disclose. Yes, I had a LOT of resolutions, and I will more than likely have just as many for 2012, but isn't that what life is about? Striving for the proverbial bigger and better? What would life be without goals, aspirations, and the need for more?

A warm "Happy New Year" to you and yours, and good luck for the future! Check back here on Your Mom's a Vegan in 2012 for a blog revamp!

Jes

No comments:

Post a Comment