Monday, September 23, 2013

Vegan MoFo, Day 23: Thing-a-ma-jigs

You guys, my mom makes the BEST no bake cookies. I grew up on these things. They're just so easy and quick to make. And since I went vegan almost four years ago, Mom has been veganizing the cookies for family functions. She even prefers the veganized version (ha!). The recipe Mom uses from Gems from the Wheat State calls them "Thing-a-ma-jigs," which I find very novel. Since I love my mom's version so much, I wanted to make it, too. The original recipe calls for peanut butter, but when I searched Target for the right PB last night, I found Biscoff Spread (right????? I got some from Vegan Essentials a month ago and FELL. IN. LOVE. I couldn't believe I found it at Target, too!). It's pretty much the coolest thing since sliced bread. And that's when I knew I had to use it in this recipe instead of the PB. Thus, I give you--




Thing-a-ma-jigs (No Bake Cookies)
adapted from Gems from the Wheat State, pg. E63, contributors Sylvia Thrush, Irene Brandt, Christine Anderson, and Jodi Smith
makes 20-25 cookies, depending on size

2 cups sugar
1/2 cup cocoa
1 tbsp dark cocoa
1/2 cup soymilk
1/2 cup vegan margarine, softened
sprinkle of salt
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp chocolate extract
3 cups quick cooking oats

In a large soup pot, cook sugar, cocoa powders, soymilk, vegan margarine, and salt until boiling. Boil 1 minute, then remove from heat. Stir in Biscoff Spread and mix thoroughly. Add extracts and then oats. Combine thoroughly. **Get your pans ready before beginning recipe because once the oats are added, it starts to set quickly** On parchment or waxed paper, drop mixture by tablespoon into cookie shapes. This mixture will dry very quickly, so work fast and DON'T double or triple the batches unless there are several people to do this last step! Let cool for 15 minutes. Can be frozen once in cookie form. 




Oh bajeez, these are SO freaking tasty. The Biscoff Spread takes them to a place previously unknown by my taste buds...cookie spread used in cookies. Ha! I only let myself eat one but have the rest of the batch freezing for some time later. It's going to take all my will-power not to break into them...


Past Vegan MoFo posts on this day:

VMF 2012 Day 23: Corn Chowder
VMF 2011 Day 23: Roadtrip!
VMF 2010 Day 23: Vegan MoFo, I Think I Love You (my tribute)


2 comments:

  1. Ooh, I'm always on the lookout for no bake recipes while we have no oven. Except I've only ever found that spread once in Australia (and ate the whole lot with a spoon...oops) so I don't know when I'll get the chance to try that version...always have peanut butter on hand though so will have to try it that way! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It seems like everyone is talking about Biscoff spread lately! I still haven't tried it, but by all accounts, it sounds delicious. Your revamped thing-a-ma-jigs sound delightful!

    ReplyDelete