Monday, September 9, 2013

Vegan MoFo, Day 9: Imperial "Tuna" Salad

Remember when I said that most of the "salads" in the "Salad" chapter of Gems from the Wheat State were strange jello concoctions? I looked again for another modern-day salad recipe to make as I wanted to use the second tin of Meatless Tuna that I'd purchased from Vegan Essentials.

The "Salads" chapter produced a tuna salad recipe that I thought would work...until I read that the tuna salad was to be suspended in lemon jello and topped with a layer of mayo. BARF! I think when I read this I let out a loud "WHHHAaaaaa...?!?" Now, I'd purchased a packet of vegan unflavored gelatin to use somehow during Vegan MoFo (still unsure what to make as of right now). But there's NO way I was about to make a tuna salad with lemon-flavored jello. FTS.

So, this is what I came up with instead. I decided to keep the original recipe name because it sounds totes awesome :)



Imperial "Tuna" Salad
adapted from Gems from the Wheat State, pg. B2, contributor Wanda McCutcheon
serves at least 4

1-13 oz can Meatless Select Fishless Tuna, drained
1 large stalk celery, finely diced
1 small can sliced black olives, drained
1/2 jar green olives with pimentos, roughly chopped
1/4 small red onion, finely diced
1 small yellow hot pepper (optional)
10-15 pickle slices, chopped (I used homemade dill pickles)
1/2 cup Reduced Fat Vegenaise
1/4 tsp cracked black pepper
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp dried parsley
1/2 tsp salt

Mix all ingredients together and chill before serving. I served mine with red lettuce on Ezekiel 4:9 Low Sodium Sprouted Whole Grain bread.


 


So tasty as leftovers, too! Watch out for the pepper, though, if you use one. I had to wash my hands with a nail brush three times and still had capsaicin on my hands.


Past Vegan MoFo posts on this day:


VMF 2012 Day 9: Sauerkraut with Apple
VMF 2011 Day 9: I'm Spicy!
VMF 2010 Day 9: Chili Bean Dip & Cornbread...Mmmmm...




No comments:

Post a Comment