Saturday, September 7, 2013

Vegan MoFo, Day 7: Dump Cake

This is one of my favorite, FAVORITE cakes (partially because it's so dang easy to make but also fracking delicious). If you're needing a fast, easy, and scrumptious dessert to bring to a party, look no further. I've made it for two parties now.



Dump Cake
slightly adapted from Gems from the Wheat State, pg. E1, contributor Bettye Williams
serves about 12-16

1 can crushed pineapple, drained
1 can cherry pie filling
1 box yellow cake mix (I found Duncan Hein's to be ok--check ingredients!)
1/2 cup vegan margarine

In a well-greased pan, add can of crushed pineapple and smooth out. Spoon cherry pie filling evenly in a layer over pineapple. Add cake mix on top of cherry layer and smooth out. Dot top of cake mix with slivers of vegan margarine. Bake at 350 degrees F for 45 minutes. It may look uncooked on the top in places, but that's OK with this cake!

**This was the best "after baking" shot I could get of it...kind of before it was gone. I made it for a friend's wedding shower and found myself in a hurry to get there. Really, though, it's a messy kind of cake. So, if anything, this photo shows the Dump Cake in its true form.**


This dish travels well and is so dang tasty. You can use other fruit pie filling instead of cherry--blueberry, blackberry, etc. (Oooo, ideas!). Some recipes also add nuts to the top with the butter, but I chose to leave them out here. You could probably even mix in some vanilla between layers for extra flavor.


Past Vegan MoFo posts on this day:

VMF Day 7 2012: Candied Orange Peel
VMF Day 7 2011: What? There's Vegan Food in Kansas?
VMF Day 7 2010: "Loaded Bowl"--No, not that bowl...sheesh.


6 comments:

  1. That looks ridiculous and I want some :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well the name of this cake hooked me. That's essentially how i feel about making desserts. I just want to dump stuff in and have it taste good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really shouldn't be browsing veganmofo blogs before dinner. My stomach just audibly gurgled. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing.
    It looks so delicious,I want to eat some.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm definitely bookmarking this to try because i'm lazy and love cherry pie filling.

    ReplyDelete